It's that time of the year again everybody! The twentieth day of April ya'll! You know what that means, don't you? It's 4/20 or as many call it, "Weed Day" or "Marijuana Appreciation Day." The day came to be during the 70s when a group of people from San Rafael, California that called themselves the Waldo's went on a search for a cannabis crop they found out about. The group decided they would meet at the Louis Pasteur statue on the San Rafael High School campus as their meeting spot right at 4:20pm. The referred to their plan as "4:20 Louis," but after multiple attempts at locating the crop, they simply called it "4:20."
The phrase became popular after Steven Hagar, editor of High Times magazine, who was responsible of bringing the Waldos’ story to a national audience. Hager also attributed the early spread of the phrase to Grateful Dead followers, who were also linked to the city of San Rafael. The legend was born and now you know how 4/20 came out. As the negative stigma towards this green leaf is erased, let's take a look at famous personalities that have opened up about marijuana with these quotes:
1. Barack Obama: “When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point.”
2. Bill Maher: “Whenever the people are for gay marriage or medical marijuana or assisted suicide, suddenly the 'will of the people' goes out the window.”
3. Bob Saget: "Marijuana is not a drug!!! I used to suck dick for coke! You ever suck DICK for marijuana?"
4. Arnold Schwarzenegger: "That is not a drug. It’s a leaf."
5. Louis Armstrong: "It really puzzles me to see marijuana connected with narcotics dope and all of that stuff. It is a thousand times better than whiskey. It is an assistant and a friend."
6. Carl Sagan: "The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world."
7. Dave Chappelle: "Hey, hey, hey. Smoke weed everyday."
8. Melissa Etheridge: "Instead of taking five or six of the prescriptions, I decided to go a natural route and smoke marijuana."
9. Jay Leno: "Forty million Americans smoked marijuana; the only ones who didn’t like it were Judge Ginsberg, Clarence Thomas and Bill Clinton."
10. Whoopi Goldberg: "It helps my head stop hurting, and with glaucoma your eyes ache, and she takes the ache out. It’s wonderful."
11. Kevin Smith: “I know you’re supposed to tell kids not to do drugs, but, kids, do it! Do weed! Don’t do the other stuff, but weed is good.”
12. Jimmy Carter: “Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself, and where they are they should be changed.”
13. Bob Marley: “When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself.”