Dry skin is the most common cause of flaking dandruff, but there are several other causes, including not enough cleaning, scrubbing, shampooing too often, psoriasis, eczema, and many others. It is very likely that throughout your life you have had to combat it with some product specialized in the subject.
When it comes to treating dandruff, women often compromise on the healthy look of their hair to get results. Many of the 3 in 10 women who suffer from dandruff have long believed they cannot obtain both nourishment for healthy, beautiful strands and an effective dandruff solution in one.
Dove Hair Expert Dermatologist, Dr. Francesca Fusco shared with us five tips and tricks on how not to compromise between dandruff relief and hair that feels healthy and moisturized.
Flake-Free Hair Tips
- Don’t make the mistake of thinking a flaky scalp means you should reduce how frequently you shampoo. Dandruff is best controlled with the regular use of a dandruff shampoo and conditioner, such as Dove DermaCare Scalp Pure Daily Care 2in1.
- Create an at home sugar scrub for your scalp to tackle stubborn dry skin. Simply mix a tablespoon of sugar with Dove DermaCare Scalp Dryness & Itch Relief Shampoo and gently massage it into your scalp using your fingertips. The sugar will gently exfoliate and completely dissolve, without leaving behind any grit or particles.
- Trendy slouchy beanies are popular, but wearing one all day is not optimal for dry and oily scalps or dandruff. Let your scalp "breathe" and leave hats for the outdoors.
- Individuals with dandruff often complain of intermittent itching, but I always urge my patients to not scratch. Once you start scratching, you’ll notice flakes on your shirt. If you feel the urge to scratch, I recommend taking a sniff of a calming essential oil like lavender -- the aromatherapy effects will help reduce stress to resist the urge to itch your scalp.
- To aggressively control dandruff, start by dampening (don't saturate) your hair and scalp. Then, apply Dove DermaCare Scalp Invigorating Mint Shampoo to your scalp and allow it to sit for 5 minutes. Once the time is up, saturate your scalp with water, building up a good lather before rinsing. The nourishing ingredients provided by the new Dove DermaCare Scalp series will leave hair feeling moisturized, smooth and healthy and the prolonged contact of Zinc Pyrithione on your scalp is excellent to treat flakes.
Dove Hair offers a wide range of solutions that provide deep nourishment and repair to meet women's specific hair needs, whether it is dry, frizzy, in need of volume or damaged. The range includes shampoo, conditioners, treatments and styling products. Don’t forget Dove DermaCare Scalp is available in food, drug and mass retailers.