By Staff Reporter, Jun 24, 2013 09:58 AM EDT
(PHOTO CREDIT: Facebook)
Twinkies will be returning to shelves next month on July 15. Twinkies went off the shelf after Hostess, the parent company, went bankrupt following a fight with its unionized workers last years. The snack will be brought back by investment firm Metropoulous & Co. in collaboration with Apollo Global Management. The two firms purchased the rights to select Hostess snacks.
Like Us on Facebook
Upon the announcement last year that Twinkies would be leaving the shelves forever, there was a major uproar as the snack was a nostalgic memory for many. As such, the company expects to have a record profitable return and have the tag line of "The Sweetest Comeback In The History Of Ever."
"A lot of impostor products have come to the market while Hostess has been off the shelves," says Daren Metropoulos, a principal of the investment firm Metropoulos & Co.
Here are six fun facts about Twinkies:
1. The plain cream that is inside Twinkies was originally banana flavored when the snack debuted in 1930. Due to banana rationing in World War II, Hostess changed the flavor from banana to vanilla. In 2006, Hostess briefly brought back the banana flavored filling to promote the DVD release of King Kong.
2. The term "Twinkie defense" refers to a a criminal case in which a defendant claims to impacted by something unimportant.
3. A rampant myth is that Twinkies never go bad, but that view is merely a myth and the snack has a reported shelf life of 25 days.
4. Greg Lawler sent a Twinkie to space in a high altitude balloon. His 14-year-old assistant consumed the Twinkie, reporting that it tasted normal.
5. Nutrition professor Mark Haub went on a Twinkie diet in 2010 which entailed only consuming Twinkies for 10 weeks. Haub lost 27 pounds.
6. Competitive eater Takeru Kobayashi set the world record for eating the most Twinkies in one minute by consuming 14 Twinkies. Watch his endeavord on the "Wendy Williams Show" below: