Jan. 31 will be the start of Chinese New Year and the kickoff for the Spring Festival, which lasts two weeks. On the 15th day of the Chinese New Year, the celebrations end with the Lantern Festival. Each of the 15 days of the festival has a special role. For instance, on the second day, dogs and pets are fed because it is considered to be the birthday of all dogs. If you want to wish someone a Happy New Year, then say it in Chinese with "Gong Hei Fat Choi" in Cantonese or "Gong Xi Fa Cai" in Mandarin. But if you want to say something a little different, then consider these 30 quotes, greetings and sayings.
Here are fifteen New Year quotes:
1. "May the 12 hours of AM; The 12 hours of PM; And the 12 months of the New Year be filled with love, peace, happiness, contentment, riches and bliss! Happy 2014!"
2. “Year’s end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us. Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.” -- Oprah Winfrey
3. "May this new year bring many opportunities to your way, to explore every joy of life & may your resolutions for the days ahead stay firm, turning all your dreams into reality and all your efforts into great achievements. Happy New Year to you & your loved ones."
4. “I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You’re doing things you’ve never done before, and more importantly, you’re Doing Something.” -- Neil Gaiman
5. "Great start for Jan, Love for Feb, Peace for march, No worries for April, Fun for May, Joy for June to Nov, Happiness for Dec, HAPPY Chinese NEW YEAR 2014."
6. "This year has come to an end and it will take away all the pain and mistakes. Now you have a brand new beginning to look forward to. Happy New Years, with love from all of us!"
7. "Years And Years Of Good Health Enjoyment And Mirth Angels To Watch Over You Remembrances Of A Happy Years!"
8. "New Years is the perfect occasion to celebrate love, friendships and all the good things in life. Let's take the time to appreciate what this year has given us and what the new one is about to bring! Happy New Years!"
9. “This is my wish for you: Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, Love to complete your life.” -- Anonymous
10. "In the New Year, may your right hand always be stretched out in friendship, but never in want." -- Irish Toast
11. "A New year, A New Start, A New Chapter, A New Beginning, Forget the bad, Cherish the GOOD, I sincerely wish u a very blessed new year ahead. Happy New Year."
12. "With each passing moments, let us embrace the New Year with a brighter, colorful, and joyous future. Happy New Year!"
13. "Happy New Year! Always welcome the new morning with a new spirit, a smile on your face, love in your heart and good thoughts in your mind."
14. "Days are too busy? Hours are too few? Seconds are too fast? But there is always a time for me to say?? Happy New Year ... "
15. "Life is like a book, each day has a new page, with adventures to tell, lessons to learn and tales on good deed to remember."
Here are fifteen greetings and proverbs you should know for Chinese New Year:
16. 马年大吉 Mǎnián dàjí (Wish you luck in the Year of the Horse.)
17. 心想事成 Xīnxiǎng shì chéng (May all your wishes come true.)
18. 金玉滿堂 Jīnyùmǎntáng (May your wealth come to fill a hall.)
19. 身体健康 Shēntǐ jiànkāng (Enjoy good health.)
20. 迎春接福 Yíngchúnjiēfú (Greet the New Year and encounter happiness.)
21. 萬事如意 Wànshìrúyì (May all your wishes be fulfilled.)
22. 马年大吉 Mǎ nián dàjí (Best wishes for the Year of the Horse.)
23. If you want 1 year of prosperity, grow grain. If you want 10 years of prosperity, grow trees. If you want 100 years of prosperity, grow people.
24. Blame yourself as you blame others; forgive others as you forgive yourself.
25. Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.
26. He who hurries can not walk with dignity.
27. A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood.
28. If Heaven made someone, earth can find some use for them.
29. Make happy those who are near, and those who are far will come.
30. Forget the favors given; remember those received.