When improving our eating habits we tend to rely on nuts such as almonds, walnuts, cashews, etc., yet forget one of the nuts that can completely change your life for the better: pistachios. They are a good source of protein, dietary fiber, minerals, B vitamins, thiamin, calcium, riboflavin, folate, vitamin E and vitamin K. It is also suggested that pistachios help lower the risk of heart disease. According to a July 2003 study by the FDA, "Scientific evidence suggests but does not prove that eating 1.5 ounces (42.5 g) per day of most nuts, such as pistachios, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk of heart disease."
In 2015, another study concluded that pistachio consumption in people who don’t suffer from diabetes mellitus appears to modestly lower blood pressure. It is believed that pistachios’ high levels of the amino acid arginine and high levels of phytosterols and monounsaturated fatty acids are just some of the mechanisms for pistachios' antihypertensive properties.
Although pistachios contain many calories, epidemiologic studies have provided strong evidence that their consumption is not associated with weight gain or obesity. To celebrate all the wonders of pistachios, we’re sharing 4 easy recipes that are also healthy and delicious.
Citrus Pistachio Salad
Prep: 20 minutes | Time to Table: 20 minutes | Serves 8
1 cup shelled Wonderful Pistachios Roasted & Salted, roughly chopped
2 red grapefruit
2 blood oranges
1 Cara Cara orange
1 navel orange
4 Wonderful Halos mandarins
1 cup medjool dates, thinly sliced
½ cup cilantro
- Trim off the top and bottom of each fruit, cut off all the skin and pitch, and then use a sharp knife to slice ½-inch thick pieces.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl with the dates, pistachio, and cilantro.
- Arrange on a plate, drizzling the extra juice from the bowl across the salad. Serve slightly chilled.
Pistachio-Crusted Chicken Wings
Prep: 20 minutes | Time to Table: 2 hours or overnight | Serves 4
2 cups Wonderful Pistachios No Salt, shelled
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon pink peppercorn
2 teaspoons sea salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons olive oil
12 chicken wings
- Combine the fennel seeds, cumin seeds, pink peppercorn, sea salt, pepper, sesame seeds, and garlic in a mortar. Crush with a pestle until well combined.
- Transfer spice mixture to a small bowl and mix in the vinegar and olive oil.
- Rub marinade over all chicken wings and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat oven to 500°F. Cover a 11x17 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place pistachios in a food processor and blend until a coarse mixture forms.
- Individually place each chicken wing in the pistachios and coat thoroughly.
- Transfer wings to the prepared baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes until pistachios are golden brown.
Strawberry Pistachio Cream Tart
Prep: 30 minutes | Time to Table: 45 minutes | Serves 8
½ cup unsalted Wonderful Pistachios No Salt, shelled
1 cup unbleached flour
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening
2-4 tablespoons ice water
5 large egg yolks, room temperature
¾ cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1½ cups scalded whole milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon heavy cream
½ teaspoon orange zest
¼ teaspoon lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon fine salt
4 cups strawberries, sliced honey
- In medium bowl, mix flour and salt. Using a fork, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle with ice water, one tablespoon at a time, while gently mixing with fork. Continue to add water until dough is just moist enough to form a ball when lightly pressed together.
- Shape dough into a long rectangle, ½-inch thick. On a lightly-floured work surface, roll dough lightly from center to edge with a floured rolling pin. Place in tart pan and gently press in bottom and up sides of pan without stretching. Trim pastry edges if necessary.
- Prick bottom and side of pastry with fork. Bake at 450°F for 9-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar on medium-high for 4 minutes or until very thick. Reduce to low speed and add the cornstarch. With the mixer still on low, slowly pour the hot milk into the egg mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a medium saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens, about 5-7 minutes. When the cream begins to boil, whisk vigorously for 2 minutes switch to a whisk and beat vigorously. Stir in the vanilla, butter, heavy cream, zest, and salt. Place plastic wrap directly on the custard and refrigerate until chilled.
- Spread cream across tart shell and layer with strawberry slices. Drizzle with honey and top with Pistachios. Serve with extra cream on the side.
Citrus Yogurt Bowl Topped with Pistachios
Prep: 20 minutes | Time to Table: 20 minutes | Serves 1
¼ cup Wonderful Pistachios No Salt, roughly chopped
1 red grapefruit
1 Cara Cara orange
1 navel orange
2 Wonderful Halos mandarins
2-3 tablespoons honey
2 cups goat milk yogurt or plain Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon flax seeds, ground
- Trim off the top and bottom of each fruit, cut off all the skin and pith, and then use a sharp knife to slice ½-inch thick pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix the yogurt and honey until well combined.
- Layer the citrus slices in the bowl and top with the pistachios, flax seeds, and an additional drizzle of honey.