By Latin Times Staff Writer, Dec 06, 2012 03:35 PM EST
(PHOTO CREDIT: Reuters)
Lucasfilm has already confirmed "Toy Story 3" writer Michael Arndt will pen the screenplay for "Star Wars: Episode VII," and bought script treatments from "Empire Strikes Back" scribe Lawrence Kasdan, and Simon Kinberg. Now, it looks like we may have our Obi-Wan.
Actor Ewan McGregor, who played Luke Skywalker's Jedi mentor, Obi-Wan Kenobi, in the "Star Wars" prequels is interested in reprising his role in the new films.
"Yeah of course," answered McGregor when asked if he wanted to play the role again by Digital Spy in a recent interview. "If they need me, yeah, I'd be happy," the 41-year-old Scotland native added.
Like Us on Facebook
When the reporter suggested Kenobi might come back as a ghost, McGregor suggested, "Or maybe he comes back."
McGregor then quickly backpedaled and clarified, "I know nothing about it other than what I've read on the Internet."
The Obi-Wan actor is just the latest star involved with the iconic series to throw his hat in the ring. Several other characters from the epic saga have been suggesting recently they're interested in returning to the films.
Recently, Carrie Fisher, Princess Lea herself, hinted she might be interested in a role in one of the new films.
TMZ surrounded Fisher while the actress was walking her dog and asked if a return for "Episode VII" might happen. "Yes, sure," Fisher replied. Pushed to clarify further if she would indeed star in "Star Wars" if approached, the Princess Leia actress retorted, "Wouldn't you?"
Entertainment Weekly reported similar interest from Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Fisher earlier in the week.
"Harrison is open to the idea of doing the movie and he's upbeat about it, all three of them are," an unnamed source claimed to Entertainment Weekly, referring to the 70-year-old Han Solo actor, along with his original co-stars Hamill, and Fisher.
Hamill revealed he and Fisher had found out about the new films two months ago when Lucas took the pair to lunch. "He said, 'We decided we're going to do Episodes VII, VIII, and IX,'" Hamill told EW.com. "I was just gobsmacked. 'What? Are you nuts?!'"
Arndt's screenplay for "Episode VII" is said to focus on a new generation of heroes and would feature appearances by Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in older incarnations of their beloved characters from the original Star Wars trilogy.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, "Sources have said not to discount the possibility that a number of characters from previous 'Star Wars' films could reappear - even the dead Jedis, who have a habit of showing up in spirit form."
One of those returning characters may be Lando Calrissian. According to Moviehole, which claims to have obtained the scoop from a Lucasfilm employee, the character appears in Arndt's treatment for "Episode VII."
Originally portrayed by Billy Dee Williams, Calrissian was last seen helping his friend Han Solo in taking down the Empire in "Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi". The character was still alive at the end of the movie as he was seen celebrating in the Ewok village. Dee Williams himself recently told TMZ, "I'd love to be involved in some way with it ['Episode VII']."
Lucas biographer Dale Pollock commented on Lucasfilm's sale to Disney for $4.05 Billion, and "Episode VII" at large, and assured fans that Disney will almost certainly be using Lucas's outlines for the next three films. "Writers will absolutely take his outline. That's in part what Disney bought," Pollock said.
Lucas recently clarified just how involved he planned to be with the upcoming films.
"[If the filmmakers ask],'Who's this guy?' I can tell them. I mean, they have a hundred encyclopedias and things, but I actually know a lot. I can say, 'This is this and this is that.' Basically I'm not - I don't really have much to do," said Lucas to Access Hollywood.
Disney CEO Bob Iger says the company plans to release a new "Star Wars" film every two to three years after "Episode VII."