From the breakfast nook to the dinner table, Easter is not complete without a Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham! Perfectly cooked, hand trimmed and uniformly sliced, these famous hickory-smoked hams make holiday entertaining both headache- and hassle-free, so you can get out of the kitchen and spend more time with family and friends - something we think we can all appreciate.
Whether serving it with a glaze like an Orange Chipotle Ham or incorporating it into easy appetizers like a Ham & Brie Crostini, the ham will lend itself to a variety of dishes, making this your most savory holiday yet.
Have some fun this Easter and share with your loved ones an unforgettable dish!
- ORANGE CHIPOTLE HAM
· 8 lbs Smithfield Hickory Smoked Spiral Sliced Ham
· 1 1/2 canned chipotle chilies in adobo (adjust for taste)
· 1 1/2 pt fresh orange juice
· 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
· 1 tbsp ground cumin
· 1/2 tbsp ground achiote (or paprika)
· 1 tbsp orange zest
· 2 tbsp tequila
· Smithfield honey glaze packet
· 1/2 cup sugar or honey
· 1 cinnamon stick
· 2 whole cloves
· 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
· 2 tbsp corn starch
- For the Orange Chipotle Sauce:
Remove seeds from the chipotle pepper or chilies. For a spicy sauce, do not remove seeds. Combine the orange juice, lime juice, chipotle chilies, cumin and achiote in a blender and puree until smooth. Strain if desired. Place the orange chipotle puree in a medium sized saucepan. Add the orange zest, tequila, Smithfield honey glaze packet, sugar or honey, cinnamon stick, and cloves. Bring the sauce to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, and cook for 25-30 minutes. Remove the cloves and the cinnamon stick.
- For the Baked Ham with Orange Chipotle Sauce:
Pre-heat oven to 325F. Place the Smithfield Spiral Sliced Ham in a large baking pan, with the flat side of ham facing down. Pour 1/2 of the orange chipotle sauce over the ham. Cover the ham with foil and bake for about 1 hour. Warm remaining orange chipotle sauce in saucepan. Remove foil from the ham and pour the remaining sauce over the ham. Continue baking the ham for another 40-45 minutes, basting it every 10-15 minutes with the pan sauces. Remove the ham from the oven and let it rest for 5-10 minutes before carving and serving.
- For the Orange Chipotle Gravy:
Place about 3 cups of the pan sauces in a small sauce pan with the balsamic vinegar. Bring to boil and cook about 5 minutes. Meanwhile mix the corn starch with a little bit of the pan sauces or water and stir into gravy sauce. Mix until well dissolved and thickened. Remove from heat and serve warm.
- HAM & BRIE CROSTINI WITH FIG JAM
· 1/4 cup fig jam
· 1 French baguette (10-12 ounces), sliced on the bias, ¼-inch thick (about 24 pieces)
· 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
· 3/4 pound Smithfield Ham slices, cut into 24 pieces
· 9 ounces Brie cheese, sliced & cut into 24 pieces
1. Preheat oven to 400 ℉ . Lightly brush both sides of baguette slices with oil and place slightly spaced on rimmed baking pans. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
2. Top each slice with ham and Brie and bake for an additional 5-8 minutes or until Brie has just begun to melt. Top each crostini with fig jam and serve warm for best flavor.
Chef’s Tip: Try topping with fresh thyme leaves before baking for an additional flavor boost!