Wow, it's finally here! OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei announced earlier this week that the official Android 5.1 Lollipop CyanogenMod 12S is finally available via OTA (over-the-air) update for the OnePlus One. Carl Pei also shared a tweet on Tuesday that announced the OTA will begin its roll out over the next few days. Paei also noted that the availability of the OTA will be random and that geography plays no role in priority.
According to XDA, the latest Android 5-based CM12S update will also deliver new material design UI and extra themes like a new App Themer. Extra theming features will allow users the freedom to modify individual apps that are available either paid or free. Essentially, CyanogenMod claims the OS layout is now a personal canvas for the user.
A new Cyanogen e-mail client will be introduced as well. According to the press release, the new Cyanogen email is powered by premium Boxer, which will be free to all Cyanogen OS users. Improvements over the built-in mail app include exchange support, multiple account integration, and canned responses for quick replies. Boxer can also be customized to indicate different colors for email notifications. What's more, customized swipe fuctions let the users organize and sort their messages by simply swiping left and right.
Given the random rollout of the CM12S OTA, OnePlus One users may have to wait a coupple days before the update is available for their region. That said, interested users can go ahead and perform the install manually. Follow the Cyanogen OS 12 manual install guide here:
Check Before Install
- Ensure the OnePlus One is fully charged
- Verify that the phone is running on stock recovery and stock ROM
- Back up important data and settings on the phone to prevent unexpected data loss during the ROM installation
Update Android Lollipop Cyanogen OS 12 For OnePlus One
- Download the official CM12S ROM for OnePlus One "cm-12.0-YNG1TAS0YL-bacon-signed.zip"
- Copy the downloaded file to the root folder of your phone's internal storage
- Flashing the OTA via Stock Cyanogen recovery
- Power off your device
- Reboot into stock recovery – Press and hold the Power and Volume Down rocker and release them when the OnePlus logo appears on screen
- Choose Apply Update
- Select Choose from internal storage
- Choose the file "cm-12.0-YNG1TAS0YL-bacon-signed.zip", which you downloaded earlier and let the installation begin. Wait until the ROM is flashed and then you will be seeing the Android Bot.
- After the installation is over, return to main page and perform 'wipe cache partition'.
- Then hit Reboot system now
Following the reboot, you will see the new Cyanogen logo and it confirms that your OnePlus One is now running on the new CM12S Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS.
Update from Oxygen OS to Cyanogen OS 12 For OnePlus One
Back up your phone before installation. The following manual installation will wide all your user data, settings, contacts, messages etc. Internal SD card will not be affected.
Pre-requisite: Ensure that your phone's bootloader is unlocked with the latest TWRP 18.104.22.168 custom recovery installed.
- Download the CM12S ROM from the official download link.
- Copy the file to the root folder of your phone's internal storage.
- Reboot into TWRP recovery – Press and hold the Power and Volume Down button together and release them once you see the OnePlus logo.
- If running Oxygen OS: Choose Wipe > Advanced Wipe > Select Dalvik cache, System, Data and Cache. Then swipe to wipe.
If updating from CM12 nightly: choose Wipe and then 'Swipe to factory reset'.
- Return to Home screen, select Install and then choose the "cm-12.0-YNG1TAS0YL-bacon-signed.zip" file that you copied to your phone in step #2. Then Swipe to flash.
- Wait until the installation is over and then hit Reboot System.