Shane Del Rosario On Life Support: UFC Fighter Suffers Heart Attack; Fights To Stay Alive [UPDATE]

Shane Del Rosario
Image

UFC fighter Shane Del Rosario is still alive. Despite earlier reports that the 30-year-old had passed away on Friday morning after being taken off life support, as HNGN reported, he is on life support. Longtime trainer Colin Oyama posted the following message on his Facebook page: "Start praying people, cause we have a shot." Del Rosario collapsed from a cardiac arrest on Tuesday, since then has been on life support at a hospital in Newport Beach, Calif. 

"Shane continues to cling to life at Hoag hospital in Newport Beach, Calif.," Jason House, Del Rosario's manager, told MMAFighting.com via text message. "After arriving at the emergency room in full cardiac arrest on Tuesday morning he was resuscitated to stable rhythm and blood pressure, but has not regained consciousness.

Del Rosario continues on life support and underwent an operation on Wednesday in the hopes of recovery. However, as of Friday morning, the 30-year-old had reported no brain activity.  "Doctors believe he may suffer from a rare condition called Long QT Syndrome which is a genetic anomaly that can cause a sudden and life threatening heart rhythm abnormality, and may result in sudden death. Tragically, it strikes healthy young people and often is the first and only presentation of a heart problem.", explains House to MMAFighting.

Del Rosario was found by his roommate, UFC flyweight Ian McCall on the floor. "Shane del Rosario had a catastrophic cardiovascular collapse at home on Tuesday morning," Jason House, del Rosario's manager, said in a statement released to Sherdog.com. "He was brought to the hospital in full cardiac arrest. He was resuscitated in the emergency room back to a stable heart rhythm and blood pressure."

His family is "still hoping for a miracle," says House.

 

What do you think?
Join the Discussion