A 13-year-old girl from England, had to have her appendix and part of her bowel removed following her failed attempt to recreate a viral Tik Tok trend.

In the dangerous video trend, Tik Tokers place magnetic ball bearings on either side of the tongue to create the appearance of a "tongue piercing".

The girl, who will not be named, was rushed to the hospital after she began vomiting and complained of stomach pains.

"The pains got worse so I took her to Whiston Hospital. They thought it might have been her appendix at first," the teen girl’s mother, Faye Elizabeth, told the Echo.

"Then they ruled that out and thought it might have been gastroenteritis until she started vomiting black stuff."

"They did a scan and found 10 of the ball bearings," the mother said.

She said the girl accidentally swallowed the magnetic metal balls which lodged themselves in her bowel and appendix.

"I don't know when she swallowed them because she didn't admit at first to doing it. I think she was a bit scared of admitting what she'd done," Elizabeth said.

The teen was rushed to Alder Hey Children's Hospital for emergency surgery.

"They had to take part of her bowel away and re-stitch it. There was one stuck in her appendix so they had to remove that," Elizabeth said.

Surgeons removed 15 magnetic beads from the teen's stomach. The surgery has left a six inches long scar on the young girl’s body.

"Apparently she watched a TikTok video where there's a trend that all the kids are doing at the minute," the mother said.

"I haven't actually seen it but she told me about it and a lot of other children her age have seen it."

"They put one of the beads on top of their tongue and one underneath and it makes it look like their tongue is pierced."

"And then she saw one where they put a big bead in the side of your cheek and put little beads on top of your cheek and you move it with your tongue so they move on your face."

"They're magnets but because they're so small they're easy to swallow."

The teen would be in hospital for another week or two as she continues to recover from the surgery.

"She's in bed and the nurses are being wonderful and looking after her," Elizabeth said.

"She's feeding through tubes at the minute and she's got all drips and stuff."

"I've never seen her in so much pain in her life."

"I think parents need to be made aware of these magnetic beads as they're very dangerous," the mother added.

The magnetic beads that were lodged in Faye's daughter's stomach Liverpool Echo

© 2023 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.