A 24-year-old jilted lover in India’s Mumbai was put behind bars on Sunday for allegedly circulating privately-shot intimate videos of his ex-girlfriend to her fiancé.

According to Times Now News, the accused in question and his friends were nabbed by the DB Marg Police after the victim lodged a complaint against her former lover. The 22-year-old also accused him of swindling her of Rs. 80,000 (around $1,077).

While a further probe is underway, police reports indicate that the crime was carried out to take revenge after the accused learned that the woman had moved on. Things turned ugly after the victim’s parents decided to get her married off to someone else earlier this year in Uttar Pradesh. The bitterness led to him circulating videos of his ex-girlfriend shot during their intimate moments to his friends.

The accused individual and the victim worked as domestic helps in Bandra area of Mumbai. They parted ways after he landed another job in Malabar Hill, while she shifted her work to Marine Lines.

In her statement to the police, the victim revealed that she was subjected to brutal attacks by her ex-boyfriend who allegedly raped her several times at a hostel on Grant Road. She further added that most of their sexual experiences were carried out without her consent in the past.

While the man expressed his love for her, he apparently denied wanting to take the relationship forward and refused to marry the victim, The Indian Express reported. Not much has been disclosed about the man’s familial background.

The accused decided to forward the videos to the woman's fiancé, which led to cancellation of the wedding. The evil ploy to tarnish the women's image led to the ceremony being called off, shortly after which the girl’s family supported her decision to get the police involved. A detailed search for the man and his friends was launched, leading to their arrest from South Mumbai.

In a separate incident, a 24-year-old woman who reportedly set herself ablaze with a friend outside the Supreme Court last week was pronounced dead on Tuesday. The woman, who hailed from Uttar Pradesh’s Ghazipur, had decided to live stream the disturbing act on Facebook, using the social media platform’s Live video feature.

While the exact reason is yet to be disclosed, the woman allegedly ended her life on the grounds of being raped by a local politician named Atul Rai. The woman further accused two men in influential positions— senior IPS officers and a judge from UP of being “part of a nexus”, the report added.

A picture used for representational purposes only.
A picture used for representational purposes only. fotografierende/Pixabay