Sheriff: Michigan School Shooting Suspect Used Gun His Father Bought Only On Black Friday KiethJJ/ Pixabay

Former college football star Otis Anderson Jr. has died after being fatally shot by his father, Otis Anderson Sr. on Monday. The 23-year-old football standout was killed in a double shooting that took place around 9:30 pm in Johnston Lake Court in Jacksonville’s northwest side in the Forest Trails area.

According to the New York Daily News, Otis Jr. was at his Jacksonville home with his parents when an argument broke out between him and his 52-year-old father. Police investigators who spoke with Otis Jr.’s mom, Denise Anderson, said the argument had stemmed from an issue about a dog. Otis Jr.’s girlfriend’s dog apparently bit his father which triggered the heated exchange between all three family members. Otis Jr. decided to cool off upstairs as the argument continued between his parents.

Investigators from the Sheriff’s office said Otis upset as the argument escalated and he started to yell. Otis Jr. went downstairs to check on his parents but was told by his father to go back upstairs. The quarrel continued wherein Otis Sr. had flipped a recliner, which then had the football player running downstairs to check on his mother.

Denise told investigators that while both father and son were circling on another heated dispute, she said it seemed like they were about to get into a physical altercation. The men then separated but had gotten into another round in the kitchen. The argument mounted up to a point where Otis Sr. ended up shooting his son in the chest and back with Denise also suffering wounds from bullets that had grazed her. She was sent to the hospital and released Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Otis Sr. was arrested by authorities and remains in custody at Duval County Jail. On Tuesday, Otis Sr. appeared before a judge and has been charged with one count of first-degree murder as well as one count of attempted murder and is being held with no bond.

The judge said the court has found probable cause on both charges while appointing the Public Defender’s office to represent him. His next court appearance is set for Dec. 22.

The Jacksonville community mourns the death of the football star player, who was running back for the University Christian High School before moving on to a successful career at the University of Central Florida. He briefly played for the Los Angeles Rams this season where he spent time at the training camp but was unable to get drafted for the 2021 NFL Draft. He was cut from the practice squad in September.

This is a representation image. WikiImages / Pixabay