Faye Swetlik disappeared on Feb. 10 in her neighborhood in South Carolina. A massive search was launched to find the 6-year-old and sadly, she was found dead after three days.  

The girl’s neighbors joined the frantic search and by Thursday, Feb. 13, she was discovered in a wooded area not far from where she lives. Based on the report, she was last seen playing just outside her house in Cayce, South Carolina 

Now, not long after the first grader’s body was found, one of her neighbors, Coty Taylor, committed suicide which made the authorities believe that he is involved in the disappearance and murder of the girl. According to People, the bodies of Swetlik and Taylor were found just moments apart but the girl has been dead for days already while the 30-year-old man only died on that morning after Faye was found. 

As per the report from Lexington County Coroner, the suspected kidnapper and killer of Faye took his own life through stabbing as they found self-inflicted, incised wound on his neck. Byron Snellgrove, Cayce Director of Public Safety, revealed that prior to committing suicide, the police visited Taylor and they were even given consent to searched his home.

He was also described as cooperative when the authorities talked to him. At that time, the police did not find anything suspicious and he was not suspected of having something to do with the girl’s death. 

"Those agents did not see anything that alerted them to believe that he had knowledge or was at any way involved in Faye’s disappearance," Snellgrove stated.

Meanwhile, Fox News reported that Faye Swetlik died on the day she disappeared and the cause of her death was asphyxiation. Earlier this week, Lexington County Coroner Margaret Fisher spoke to the media and provided more details on the 6-year-old’s murder. 

Fisher said that Faye’s body was found in the woods just a short time after she was left there by her killer. However, she was already dead for days before she was dumped on that spot. The police were able to locate the girl after finding evidence in a trash bin in the home of Coty Taylor who was already dead by that time.

The investigation concluded with Coty Taylor being tagged as the only culprit in this heinous crime. He is believed to have kidnapped Faye Swetlik and killed her a few hours later on Feb. 10. The motive for the crime was not established. 

police line crime scene Police cordon at crime scene. Christopher Furlong/Getty Images