Meghan Markle and Prince Harry announced they are stepping down from their royal duties in January. They will no longer be part of the senior members of the royal family and based on the agreement, their His/Her Royal Highness (HRH) titles will be removed as well. 

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex gave up their royal funding too as they stated, they would like to be financially independent which means they will work on their own and earn for themselves. Now, in this regard, it was previously reported that Prince Harry and Markle tried to trademark “Sussex Royal” for their branding and perhaps to be used in their future endeavors, however, the Queen banned them from using the title.

According to UK’s Evening Standard, Her Majesty prohibits Prince Harry and his wife from using their “Sussex Royal” brand as they have already stepped down as senior members of the royal family. It was said that she thinks its continued use is “untenable” especially because the couple intends to use the name outside of the U.K. 

The publication noted that now that Queen Elizabeth banned the Sussexes from using the said name, the money they spent on establishing their label may go to waste. Also, they will need to spend more as they have to rename and restyle their commercial and charitable platforms and make sure that they will not add the word “royal” on their names. 

As a response, Harry and Markle issued a new statement that was published on their newly-formed website. The couple acknowledged that they could no longer use “Sussex Royal” in their branding.

“While The Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organization, given the specific UK government rules surrounding the use of the word ‘Royal’, it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organization will not utilize the name ‘Sussex Royal’ or any other iteration of ‘Royal,’” part of the statement reads. “For the above reason, the trademark applications that had been filed as protective measures have been removed.” 

There are reports that while the Duke and Duchess of Sussex comply with the Queen’s decision regarding the use of their name, the couple is allegedly mad. They lost their royal branding and The Guardian reported that Harry and Markle’s posts on their website suggest Her Majesty’s decision infuriated them. It was said that they think they are not being treated well compared to the other royals. 

The publication is referring to the line in Prince Harry and Markle’s statement that reads: “While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word ‘Royal’ overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use ‘Sussex Royal’ or any iteration of the word ‘Royal’ in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020.”

Prince Harry and Markle appeared to be clinging to their royal titles despite pulling out as senior members of the royal family. This is because they still intended to use their “Sussex Royal” brand after leaving Buckingham Palace for their business and charity outside of the U.K. but now, it is clear that the duke and duchess accepted the fact that they can’t cling on their royal names anymore. 

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Prince Harry and Meghan Markle lay ferns and a wreath at the tomb of the Unknown Warrior at the newly unveiled UK war memorial and Pukeahu National War Memorial Park, on Oct. 28, 2018, in Wellington, New Zealand. Getty Images/Rosa Woods