Rapper Lil TJay was shot several times at a restaurant in New Jersey during what is believed to be a botched robbery attempt early Wednesday morning, June 23, authorities said.

The 21-year-old Bronx-born rapper, whose real name is Tione Jayden Merrit, was one of two people shot at The Promenade in Edgewater just after midnight.

The second victim, 22-year-old Antoine Boyd, was found with a single gunshot wound, officials said.

Both victims were transported to a local hospital. No updates were available about their current condition, but TMZ reported that Lil TJay underwent emergency surgery.

According to the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office, the shooting occurred when the suspect, Mohamed Konate “attempted to commit armed robbery” against Lil TJay, Boyd, and a third person, identified as 24-year-old Jeffrey Valdez.

Valdez and Boyd, who were with the rapper, were both found to be in possession of an unlawful weapon.

The suspect was arrested and charged with three counts of first-degree attempted murder, three counts of first-degree armed robbery, second-degree possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, second-degree unlawful possession of a weapon, second-degree certain persons not to possess a firearm, and fourth-degree aggravated assault, the statement said. His extradition to New Jersey is pending.
Valdez and Boyd were also arrested and each charged with second-degree unlawful possession of a weapon. They were remanded to the Bergen County Jail pending a first appearance in Central Judicial Processing Court in Hackensack, NJ.

Lil Tjay rose to fame after sharing his own music on SoundCloud and then released his debut studio album True 2 Myself in 2019 on Columbia Records which peaked at No. 5 on the US Billboard 200.

In 2020, he was busted in Brooklyn after cops found firearms in a Cadillac Escalade he was riding in.

He was arraigned on New Year’s Eve on charges of criminal possession of a weapon, criminal possession of stolen property, and unlawful possession of marijuana. 

Lil TJay Lil TJay shot during botched robbery attempt at a restaurant in New Jersey early Wednesday morning, June 23. (image: Instagram)