A filmmaker and his girlfriend were mauled and eaten by a bear, and their last moments were captured in audio.

According to Daily Star, captured in the audio were Timothy Treadwell and his girlfriend Amie Huguenard, during their final moments after they were eaten by a bear in a brutal assault.

On Oct. 6, 2003, the remains of Treadwell, then 46, a self-proclaimed eco-warrior and photographer, and his girlfriend Huguenard, then 37, both from Malibu, California were found in a National Park and Preserve on the Alaska Peninsula.

Air taxi pilot Willy Fulton, who had flown in to pick the couple up near Kaflia Bay, discovered the unimaginably terrifying sight and reported it to the authorities. Fulton stumbled upon a brown bear that was sitting on top and feasting on a ribcage of what appeared to be human remains near the camp.

After Fulton was not able to locate the couple he immediately called Katmai National Park rangers, where Joe Ellis and his crew did not take too long to figure out what had really happened on the site. The couple’s tent had collapsed, with a clear indication that it was forcefully done by something that was not human.

The anxiety of the crew continued to rise as they saw another truly horrifying sight. Sitting yards from one of the tents was a heap of grass around 3ft tall, with mud and small branches sticking out. Upon further examination, the branches were actually a human arm sticking out from the grass.

Just a few moments later the crew found the severed and mauled head of Treadwell attached to a small piece of a broken spine. His right arm was also found separated from his body with his wristwatch attached. They did not have to investigate further to conclude that the severed bodies were the couple's.

Treadwell and Huguenard were wildlife filmmakers and bear encounters were not new to them but at that time of attck, everything was different.

The footage of the bear encounter in October 2003 was found in the camera after the couple’s death. Treadwell had not removed the lens cap, but the microphone was still running and the horrifying six-minute attack was caught in the audio.

Grizzly Bear
Grizzly Bear at the Detroit Zoo Getty Images Raymond Boyd