The World No. 1 tennis star Novak Djokovic is being asked to pay a massive sum of money to the Australian government after being banned and deported from the country Sunday. The other tournaments for the Serbian player remains uncertain as the some nations are trying to comply with strict COVID-19 regulations.

Djokovic is set to pay around Aus $500,000 ($359,000), which would have likely been put on the Australian taxpayer had the court reached a different conclusion Sunday. The Serbian tennis superstar has been officially banned from entering Australia for three years. He is also considered financially liable for "all the costs'' associated with the lengthy case.

"I will now be taking some time to rest and to recuperate, before making any further comments beyond this," Djokovic said. "I am extremely disappointed with the Court ruling to dismiss my application for judicial review of the Minister's decision to cancel my visa, which means I cannot stay in Australia and participate in the Australian Open. I respect the Court's ruling and I will cooperate with the relevant authorities in relation to my departure from the country."

The 20-time Grand Slam winner was initially given medical exemption after testing Covid-positive in December; however, he was detained and escorted to an immigration hotel upon arrival after the Australian Border Force canceled his visa. On Sunday, the tennis player was deported from Australia after the court refused his appeal to remain in the country. He boarded an Emirates flight to the United Arab Emirates. 

Due to Australia's high COVID-19 positive cases, his medical exemption was denied, leading to him not being able to participate in the most awaited Australian Open. 

In line with tight rules and restrictions, France became the latest nation to declare vaccine passports mandatory for all players and fans at the French Open in May. Djokovic would not be able to defend his title in the French Open, his chase for the 21st Grand Slam title is still unsure as COVID-19 tightens up all countries' regulations. 

Meanwhile, the United States also demands visitors to be double-jabbed or fully vaccinated, apart from under exceptional circumstances, meaning Djokovic's participation at the US Open in September is highly unlikely. However, he could feature at Wimbledon as it is believed officials at the All England Club plan to follow the government guidelines, which allow unvaccinated travelers to be quarantined for 10 days.

Djokovic's former coach Boris Becker said, "The way out, the easiest thing for him, would be to get vaccinated. It's crazy the world we live in but that is the way it is."

The 34-year-old Serbian star has not officially disclosed his COVID-19 vaccination status, but he previously clarified his resistance to vaccines.

Novak Djokovic The top-ranked tennis player said he was “disappointed” after losing his appeal against deportation, adding he would rest and recuperate after leaving Marbella, Spain, for Australia earlier this month. Mike Frey/Getty Images