iPhone 6 Bent And Caught Fire Inside A Man's Pocket: Phillip Lechter Describes His Second Degree Burns [VIDEO]

Bent iPhone 6 Fire
An iPhone 6 bends and catches fire in a man's pants pocket. Phillip Lechter suffered second degree burns. philliplechter.wordpress.com

The latest Apple iPhone has suffered a lot of controversy since its release. First, Apple faced the "Bendgate" scandal when owners revealed that their new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus were bending in half inside their pockets. Next, "Hairgate" surfaced when owners reported that a small gap between the iPhone 6 casing and the aluminum frame is literally catching hair and forcing users to pull on their hair and beard. Now, a new report claims that an iPhone 6 caught fire in a man's jean pocket, causing serious second-degree burns to the owner's right leg. 

According to reports, entrepreneur Phillip Lechter was visiting the University of Arizona in Tuscon with his family. During the trip, the family traveled on a bicycle rickshaw, or pedicab, across town when a wheel got caught on a trolley track, which caused the pedicab to tip over. Lechter's iPhone 6 apparently bent in half inside his pocket during the ordeal. However, it wasn't until he made sure that his wife and son were okay did he realize a burning sensation coming from his jean pocket. 

Phillip Lechter reported that a burning smell and thick smoke was coming from his phone. In fact, Lechter described in his blog that the iPhone 6 fire burned through his jean pocket, through his boxers, and significantly burned his leg. In a desperate attempt to pull the phone out of his pocket, Lechter also burned his hip. Thankfully, the leather case around his phone prevented him from burning his hand as well.

iphone 6 fire burns Phillip Lechter's right leg suffered second degree burns following the iPhone 6 fire inside his pocket. philliplechter.wordpress.com

"The doctor's report described a 11.5 cm x 10.5 cm burn area on my right leg and classified the burn as 2nd degree with first degree burns surrounding the area," Lechter described. "The smell was disturbing. I could feel my leg burning. I pulled the Apple iPhone 6 out of my pocket and threw it to the side. Someone from a crowd of spectators threw a cup of water on my leg to put the fire out on my jeans."

While this is the first report of an iPhone 6 fire, it is not uncommon among mobile phones. Earlier this summer, a teenage girl's Samsung Galaxy S4 burst into flames while it was left underneath a pillow. The cause of the fire derived from the third-party replacement lithium ion battery in the Samsung. Samsung pledged to replace the teen's phone and her burnt bedding.

As for Lechter's latest iPhone 6 fire, Apple has yet to officially respond to the incident.

What do you think?
Loading...