Prince Harry And Meghan Markle ‘Warned’: Is The Royal Couple ‘In Danger’?

On Wednesday, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex gave the world its first glimpse of their baby son. But Prince Harry has been warned that he is “in danger” of shutting out the press after Buckingham Palace delayed reporting that Meghan Markle was in labor by seven hours after she had given birth.

The news that Meghan was in labor broke at around 2 p.m. on Monday, and an announcement was issued an hour later that she and Harry welcomed a baby boy at 05:26 on May 6, 2019. Compared with previous royal births, the nativity of Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor was covered by one photographer, one reporter and two TV stations only.

Royal correspondent Duncan Larcombe was furious at the delay in the announcement of Meghan’s labor and gave warning about the implications of this for the royal couple. “There is a danger if [Harry] keeps shutting out the press again and again,” warns Larcombe.

“It's been a rather extraordinary royal birth by normal standards, I mean if you look at the blueprint that William and Kate have followed with all three children — a big set piece outside the hospital where the baby was born, everyone prepped in advance, big crowds waiting outside,” Larcombe told The Royal Box. “They've done everything they can to avoid that,” he added.

Larcombe also suggested that it is Harry who controlled the narrative around his son’s birth through his press team. “There was the email announcing that she'd gone into labor and it turned out seven hours earlier, the baby had been born,” he said. “The palace cannot issue lies, they cannot do that.”

Larcombe was asked by PR expert Nick Ede if it was a lie or simply a mistake by the Palace’s press department. “Nick, the people that look after the royals are civil servants. So, what happened?” he responded. “They are either lying or they are incompetent. Either way, I wouldn’t want that on my CV.”

The Express UK tried contacting Buckingham Palace regarding Larcombe’s remarks, but the Palace has declined to comment. Nonetheless, a photo call was organized this week after Prince Harry and Meghan announced in March that they would not take part in a public photo shoot immediately after the birth.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Britain's Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex (R), and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, leave after attending a Commonwealth Day Service at Westminster Abbey in central London, on March 11, 2019. Getty Images/Ben Stansall/AFP

What do you think?
Loading...
Join the Discussion