Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are filing a case against a British tabloid for unlawfully publishing a private letter that Meghan wrote for her father, Thomas Markle Sr. In a statement, the Duke of Sussex said that he’s suing “The Mail on Sunday” for violating the UK’s Data Protection Act of 2018, which concerns digital privacy.

Since marrying into the royal family, Meghan Markle has been plagued with attacks from her estranged family. Meghan’s siblings previously ordered press interviews to expose Meghan and how she “abandoned” her own family in exchange for royal life. Her sister, Samantha Markle, even wrote a book about Meghan and her alleged hypocrisy.

After keeping mum about the issue these past several months, Prince Harry and Meghan have finally decided to take the unprecedented move of suing a tabloid for invading Meghan’s privacy and feasting upon her ongoing rift with her family.  

Back in February, Meghan wrote a letter to his father, pleading for him to stop using the media to destroy her. The Mail On Sunday published the letter with the consent of Meghan’s father, purposely omitting paragraphs to put Meghan in a bad light.

According to Prince Harry, he has seen how the ruthless campaign of several tabloids to ruin Meghan has taken its toll on his wife, so he can’t just let it pass. “I have been a silent witness to her private suffering for too long,” said Prince Harry. “To stand back and do nothing would be contrary to everything we believe in,” he added.

The Duke of Sussex went on to lambast British tabloids for their “disturbing pattern of behaviors.” “The contents of a private letter were published unlawfully in an intentionally destructive manner to manipulate you, the reader, and further the divisive agenda of the media group in question,” he said.

Prince Harry also claimed that the publication misled the readers on purpose by editing Meghan’s letter. “In addition to the unlawful publication of this private document, they purposely misled you by strategically omitting selected paragraphs, specific sentences, and even singular words to mask the lies they had perpetuated for over a year,” he said.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, arrive at Casablanca Airport on February 23, 2019, in Casablanca, Morocco. Hannah McKay - WPA Pool/Getty Images