police do not cross
The gunfire injured a teacher and six additional students. This is a representational image. Mykola Romanovskyy/Gettyimages

In a Serbian school, a teenager killed eight other students and a security guard after weeks of planning and having a 'kill list,' according to police.

Following the attack at the Vladislav Ribnikar primary school in central Belgrade on Wednesday morning, the 13-year-old was detained.

In addition, the gunfire injured a teacher and six additional students.

According to authorities, they are currently looking into the attack's motivation.

Soon after 08:40 (06:40 GMT), police in helmets and bulletproof vests surrounded the school in the Vracar neighborhood of the city center.

The suspect is accused of using both of his father's legally owned firearms. Additionally, it is claimed that he frequently visited a shooting range with his father before the killings.

Since then, the boy's parents have both been placed under custody, BBC reported.

President Aleksandar Vucic referred to the incident as "the most difficult day in the modern history of our country" in a televised speech to the nation.

He declared that the suspect will be taken to a mental health facility. He cannot currently be charged with a crime in Serbia because he is under 14.

In light of the deaths, Vucic has proposed that the age of criminal responsibility be lowered to 12.

He has also suggested a number of additional changes, such as a review of gun licenses and more restrictions on who is permitted access to shooting ranges.

According to police, the suspect carried a "priority list" of kids to target and which classrooms he would enter first while planning the attack a month in advance.

Since the majority of the victims were born in 2009, they were either 13 or 14 years old when the incident occurred.

There will be a three-day national mourning period beginning on Friday.

Four more boys and two more girls, along with seven girls and one boy who have been confirmed dead, were injured.

The worst injuries were reportedly sustained by a child who was shot in the neck and chest, while a girl with a head injury is in severe condition.

Three more boys had leg wounds, and a second girl wounded in the abdomen is now stable.

The health minister stated, "There's been an operation and all that can be done [has been] but they're still fighting for her life."

The minister claimed the life of a teacher who was hurt in the incident and was reportedly having surgery.

Hours after the incident, parents' cries could be heard on the school's neighborhood streets.

One of the students' fathers, Milan Milosevic, said that his daughter was in the class where the gun was fired and that she was able to flee.

"[The boy] first shot the teacher and then he started shooting randomly," Milosevic told broadcaster N1.

"I saw the security guard lying under the table. I saw two girls with blood on their shirts. They say he [the shooter] was quiet and a good pupil. He recently joined their class."

"I saw kids running out from the school, screaming. Parents came, they were in a panic. Later I heard three shots," one student told the Serbian state broadcaster RTS.

The guard, who was called a "great guy" and "a man who loved kids" by one parent, had gotten acquainted with the suspect, according to Vucic.

Although Serbia's strict gun laws make mass shootings relatively uncommon, the nation has one of the highest rates of gun ownership in Europe.

Following wars and unrest in the 1990s, the western Balkans are flooded with hundreds of thousands of illegal weapons. The number of firearms per 100 persons in Serbia is estimated to be 39.1, which places it third in the world behind the U.S. and Montenegro.

The deadliest shootings since then involved Nikola Radosavljevic, who killed nine people and injured five others in the eastern town of Jabukovac in July 2007, and Ljubisa Bogdanovic, who killed 14 people in the central village of Velika Ivanca in 2013.

© 2023 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.