Watch: Teenager Injured In Waukesha Christmas Parade Tragedy Returns Home From Hospital Pixabay.

Justice Dunham, a 17-year-old Woodside High School student, was fatally shot Tuesday after a basketball game at Menchville High School. According to police, an 18-year-old Warwick High School student has been charged with murder.

The Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew announced Wednesday at a press conference that Demari Batten was taken into police custody for allegedly shooting Dunham. He has been charged with second-degree murder, shooting a firearm on school grounds, and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony.

Batten was arraigned Wednesday morning and is scheduled to be back in court on Jan. 20. He declined to speak to the media.

According to Drew, Dunham was shot around 8:40 pm next to a vehicle in the parking lot while the huge crowd was leaving the basketball game. There was also a nearby concert going on during that time.

During the preliminary investigation, it was revealed that the shooting stemmed from a verbal altercation that started in the gym during the game, with footage showing gestures back and forth.

"I can tell you, from what I understand, there are two individuals and they are on opposite sides and verbal and gestures back and forth. And I think some footage shows one of the individuals walking out [of the gym] and a little bit later the other," he added.

"Mr. Batten was in the other car, and then the victim was in his car. So the victim was at the victim's vehicle and Mr. Batten had approached the victim at his vehicle," Drew said. "There is an altercation, and there is a shot fired."

After the investigation, it appeared that both the suspect and victim possessed guns. Three guns were recovered at the scene. The suspect used one and the other two were in the vehicle Dunham was using. He confirmed a single shot was fired and the shell casing was recovered. However, there is no evidence that Batten had the gun inside the school.

The officers rendered assistance as well as gave first aid and CPR to the victim, but he died at the scene.

“Lil Zay Osama” was arrested he allegedly left a machine gun inside an Uber car. PIXABAY