A woman has been reported dead after she reportedly ate Maggi instant noodles which she garnished with slices of a tomato allegedly laced with rat poison in Pascal wadi, Malad, Mumbai, India. 

The deceased woman, identified as Rekhadevi Phulkumar Nishad, 35, had reportedly laced a tomato with rat poison to kill vermin at her home last week on, Wednesday, July 20.

However, while she was watching television, she accidentally put the poisoned tomato in her Maggi noodles and consumed the tainted produce. One week after she ate the tomato laced with rat poison, on Wednesday, July 27, Nishad died while she was undergoing treatment at a hospital, Hindustan Times reported.  

Hours after she ate the noodles, Nishad's health deteriorated. No other members of her family were at home at the time. After her husband and brother-in-law arrived home from work and saw the woman's condition, they rushed Nishad to Shatabdi Hospital for immediate treatment.

The woman was admitted in critical condition and underwent treatment at the hospital for one week. However, the woman later succumbed to complications and passed away on Wednesday, July 27, one week after she accidentally ingested the rat poison.

After admitting the woman in critical condition, hospital staff alerted local law enforcement regarding the incident. Following this, officers responded to the hospital and recorded the woman's statement, Indian Express reported.

“After receiving information about the incident from the hospital, our officers went to the hospital and recorded her statement. The woman was undergoing treatment at the hospital for a week,” said Shekhar Bhalerao, senior inspector of the Malwani Police Station.

Bhalerao revealed that Nishad dismissed any foul play in the incident and detailed how she accidentally put the poisoned tomatoes in her noodles and consumed them while watching television.

“We examined the case from all possible angles and haven’t found any foul play in the woman’s unfortunate death. Hence, an ADR (Accidental Death Report) has been registered on Wednesday,” Bhalerao said.

The woman reportedly lived with her husband and brother-in-law and accepted odd jobs to earn a living.

food-g2eaa1d703_1920 A woman has been reported dead after she reportedly ate Maggi instant noodles which she garnished with slices of a tomato allegedly laced with rat poison in Pascal wadi, Malad, Mumbai, India. This is a representational image. Pixabay/ digitalphotolinds