Family Reacts To Moment Their Cruise Ship Hit An Iceberg: 'Titanic 2.0' Pixabay

A woman died after falling overboard from a cruise ship that was returning to Florida after a cruise to the Caribbean.

The 36-year-old woman went overboard from the cruise ship MSC Meraviglia while the ship was heading back to Port Canaveral after a five-day cruise to the Bahamas in the Caribbean. The woman's body was recovered about 18 miles from the shore of Port Canaveral after she went overboard from the cruise ship owned and operated by MSC Cruises, NBC News reported.

The Coast Guard did not disclose the woman's identity or how she fell from the ship.

MSC Cruises said they are working with authorities to investigate the incident. They offered the woman's family condolences in a statement and explained that the ship's "advanced detection systems" alerted staff members to an overboard passenger.

"Early this morning, MSC Meraviglia's advanced detection systems alerted our crew to a passenger overboard while the ship was sailing to Port Canaveral," the company said. "The crew performed an immediate search and rescue operation, alongside the US Coast Guard who supported search efforts with boats and a helicopter."

"Unfortunately, despite the rapid rescue operation, the passenger sustained fatal injuries," the statement continued. "We are offering our full support to authorities as they investigate this matter. We are deeply saddened by this incident and offer our sincerest condolences to the family and those affected."

“It’s sad. We don’t really know what’s going on other than that. I’m glad that she was found. It's closure for the family,” passenger Angelica Parlapiano said.

The Coast Guard said the incident is under investigation, People reported.

“They made an announcement saying what had happened and saying that the passenger had already passed. It was very somber mood walking around the dining hall in the morning,” passenger Sam Caskey said.

In a similar but unrelated incident, a man was rescued from the Gulf of Mexico after he went overboard from a Carnival cruise ship on Thursday, Nov. 24, as previously reported.

The 28-year-old man was last seen leaving a bar on the Valor at around 11 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 23. However, he never came back to his room.

Following this, the Coast Guard along with the Valor launched a search-and-rescue operation to retrace its route and search for the man. After hours of searching the ship and nearby waters, at around 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 24, the crew of a bulk carrier, identified as Crinis, spotted the man in the water and alerted the Coast Guard to his position about 20 miles south of Southwest Pass, Louisiana.

Following this, the Coast Guard Watchstanders hoisted the man up into a Jayhawk helicopter and transferred him to the New Orleans Lakefront Airport for emergency medical treatment.

© 2023 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.