A young boy had a near-death experience when he was "sucked under by a filter" while bathing in a hot tub.

His mother shared the horrifying story on her Facebook, warning people of the "life-threatening" dangers of hot tubs.

The mother said her boy was left unconscious and it took three men to free him even after the tub had been switched off.

She said that her son suffered serious injuries despite the family’s quick instincts to save him. He was airlifted to the hospital and is currently recovering.

The mum wrote: "Please read whole story - on Sunday our son was using a hot tub when he was sucked under by a filter outlet within the tub."

"This filter outlet is covered partially but there is a large rectangular hole which takes in the water and sends it to the filter and he was sucked into this outlet and could not escape."

The mum continued: "Family were in full view and as soon as this occurred they immediately rushed to his assistance and it took three men to release him from the suction despite the tub being turned off straight away."

"When he was pulled out he was unconscious and CPR was started."

She said: "He received brilliant treatment both on the journey and during his recovery where he was monitored over a period of days."

"Fortunately (he) is now home and on the mend however had he not been rescued from the tub so quickly and the treatment been so good he may not be here today."

The mother finished with the warning: "If anyone has or are thinking of buying hot tubs, spas or pools please ensure they are safe to use, are checked regularly and children are being watched at all times as stated in the units user manual."

"You do not expect something that is so enjoyable to turn out to be life-threatening however this can be the case. Please please be aware and be careful, I do not want this to happen to another family where there might be a worse outcome."

The mother’s warning has since been shared over 32,000 times with almost 5,000 comments.

One person wrote: "Oh my gosh how awful, poor little man. I am so glad he is OK and on the mend."

There were many similar messages with another commenting: "That’s horrendous. Poor little boy. What a tragedy it could have turned out. So glad to hear that he is now on the mend."

An 11-month-old infant reportedly died drowning while the child was playing in a bathtub with her brother in Harris County, southeastern Texas on Tuesday, June 21. This is a representational image. Pixabay

© 2023 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.