In 2013 the American people were captivated by the case of the U.S born Latina Jodi Arias. Her trial for the (1) 2008 murder of her on and off again boyfriend Travis Alexander lasted months and Arias herself was on the stand for what seemed an interminable amount of time. The nation was captivated from the very start, when Arias told lie after lie about what happened to Alexander before finally confessing that she murdered him. (2) Arias said that Alexander was a controlling and abusive man and she killed him only out of self-defense.

Travis Alexander’s wounds were extensive. (3) He was stabbed almost 30 times, his throat was cut so deep his spine was exposed and he was shot in the head. Arias claimed that Alexander was beating her and she had no choice but to fight back and kill him before he killed her. When Arias was first interviewed she lied to police telling them she was nowhere near Alexander’s home that night in June 2008. When evidence contradicted her statement Arias came up with a story saying two armed men broke into the house and killed Alexander.

Once again police did not believe Arias and she finally admitted to the murder, adding the self-defense claim. The jury listening to Arias’ claims of domestic abuse, memory loss and Travis Alexander’s alleged pedophilic behavior did not blink twice when agreeing that Arias was guilty of first degree murder. It is likely that the pictures of Travis Alexander’s mutilated body is what proved to the jury that Arias was guilty. (4) In the state of Arizona a guilty verdict on a charge of murder in the first degree carries with it a death penalty option.

The jury that found Arias guilty could (5) not make a unanimous decision about sentencing her to death or life in prison. Despite the ease with which Arias seems to have taken Alexander’s life, it proved too difficult a decision for the panel of jurors to agree upon taking someone’s life. After two attempts the jury was dismissed. The jury was discharged of their duties at the end of May 2013. Since then no new jury has been selected and the sentencing hearing was postponed time and time again.

Several requests were made by the defense to have the trial moved out of Phoenix. (6) The defense felt that with Arias’ high profile it would be best to change the sentencing’s venue to ensure a fair trial. The judge denied that request as well as Arias’ request to fire her lawyer. The judge did make a ruling that banned live media coverage of the sentencing. Certain news organizations are fighting this restriction. After several months of waiting the Alexander family announced that Arias would be sentenced in February 2014.

No exact date was announced but the (7) victim’s brother Steven Alexander went on Facebook to announce that in mid-February, “Our family will come together and see it through until it is finished. There is a monster that haunts us, but once the correct sentence is given, it's her who will be haunted until the most the most humane punishment comes to her. Nothing compared to the sentence she gave to a good man.” Arias is said to have another court hearing scheduled for Jan. 13. No details as to what form the court date will take are available.