A 27-year-old man’s vehement refusal to break open the windows of his new car, despite his toddler being locked inside, led to the child’s untimely passing in Las Vegas on Monday afternoon.

Sidney Deal, the father of the child was arrested by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department on the same day. The mishap occurred after Deal left his keys inside the car, which auto-locked itself, hence leaving Sayah being trapped inside.

As per a report on “The Las Vegas Review-Journal”, Deal allegedly declined to multiple offers to break open the windows and rescue the child, as he apparently couldn’t afford to pay for any damages to his new car. Officers had arrived at the scene at around 3.30 p.m. and offered to help him get the child out by hailing a tow truck or locksmith.

While the scene triggered panic, Deal assured the officers that they were fine as the air conditioner was running and could wait until his brother arrived. Despite his brother’s arrival, Deal further delayed the emergency situation and “stopped him and said he wanted to wait for a tow truck” and “insisted he not damage his new vehicle, stating he had just bought the car and did not have the money to repair a broken window,” cited the report. Deal’s girlfriend alleged that even when a locksmith was called, he wasn’t too convinced to hurry up and denied their services as he felt they’d overcharged.

As per police statements, Sayak stayed locked in for close to an hour when an officer finally got around to break open a window. But, it was already too late by then. The toddler had died. Police spokesman Larry Hadfield maintained that the officers heeded Deal’s stance and waited to break the window because he was adamant about protecting the car and the child was seen breathing.

“The dad said that the A/C was on and the kid was playing, and when the officers arrived, they saw that she was breathing,” said Hadfield said according to the Journal-Review. “But when the officers got concerned for the child’s well-being, they broke the window,” he added.

Deal was summoned to appear before the court on Tuesday but backed out citing medical reasons. Not much has been disclosed as to whether Deal has sought legal help, for an attorney to speak on his behalf.

According to online jail records, and as mentioned in a media outlet, Deal is currently held at Clark County Detention Center on $20,000 bail. His next hearing is slated on Thursday.

Man in jail. Illustration of man in jail. Shutterstock