A man has been accused of setting his 75-year-old mother on fire after she refused to give him money to buy alcohol in Thrissur, Kerala, India on Tuesday, Sept. 20.

The accused, identified only as 53-year-old Manoj, allegedly frequently demanded money to buy alcohol from his 75-year-old mother, Thalekkattil Veettil Sreemati. On Tuesday, Sept. 20, when Manoj similarly asked his mother for money, she refused his request, the Times Of India reported.

Upon hearing this, Manoj, in a fit of rage, allegedly poured kerosene over his elderly mother and set her ablaze. The victim's neighbors rushed to the scene after hearing her screaming for help. Following this, officers responded to the scene and transported Sreemati to a hospital at Kunnamkulam for the immediate treatment of her burn injuries.

However, as her health deteriorated, Sreemati, who reportedly sustained about 70% burns in the incident, was transferred to a private hospital in Kochi, Kerala for advanced treatment, Times Now reported.

Following the incident, based on a statement given by Sreemati to the police, the officers arrested and took her son Manoj into custody in connection with the attempted murder.

In a similar but unrelated incident, a man allegedly thrashed his wife to death with a stick after she refused to give him money to buy alcohol in Bemetara, Chhattisgarh, India, Latin Times reported.

The accused, identified as Bhanu Devangan, allegedly asked his wife, Santoshi Devangan, to lend him some money to buy a bottle of liquor. After Santoshi refused to give the suspect the money he demanded, Bhanu reportedly felt enraged and erupted into a heated tirade against his wife. During the confrontation, however, Bhanu, in a fit of rage, allegedly picked up a stick and began brutally bludgeoning his wife in the head.

Santoshi, who suffered severe injuries in the attack, subsequently collapsed unresponsive onto the floor. When Bhanu saw that Santoshi was bleeding profusely, he panicked and rushed her to the nearby district hospital.

The doctors at the hospital determined her to be in critical condition and referred her to a facility that can offer advanced treatment. Following this, Santoshi was transferred to Raipur hospital. However, she was declared dead upon arrival at the health facility.

Following the incident, the Bemetara police officers took the accused into custody.

Newlywed set themselves on fire
This is a representational image. Jam Press Vid/@djrusspowell

© 2024 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.