A 24-year-old man, who is accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl, was tracked down on Facebook by a Delhi Police woman cop. The police officer befriended the accused and later arrested him.

On July 30, police got a call from a hospital about a minor girl being allegedly raped, said an officer. After a medical examination, the girl was found to be pregnant, reported Indian Express. The man had allegedly sexually assaulted her for months on the pretext of marriage.

The officer said that her statement was recorded. The girl initially hesitated to file a police complaint, but later agreed to do it. Narrating the incident, she reportedly said that she had met a man near her residence a few months ago. After having a physical relationship with him, he started ignoring her. She also said that the man never gave his phone number to her.

Sub-inspector Priyanka Saini began her investigation into the case. A police officer said that a team was formed by SHO (Dabri) S.S Sandhu. They started hunting for the accused on Facebook. Saini found more than 100 Facebook profiles with his name, and showed them to the victim, who identified the accused.

Then Saini made a new profile on Facebook, and sent him a friend request. After he accepted it, she started chatting with him. When she asked him to share his number, he refused. He reportedly asked her to meet him and said that he would then share his information with her.

After a few attempts, Saini won his confidence and the man gave her his mobile number, said police. As for the meeting, on July 31, he asked her to meet him at Dashrath Puri Metro station in the evening. But he later changed the venue and asked Saini to meet him at Dwarka Sector 1. He changed plans again and asked her to come to Sri Mata Mandir Mahavir Enclave. He was apprehended there, said police.

During interrogation, he said that he is an employee of a bangles shop in Dwarka. Police said that he had targeted others as well. In the last 15 months, he met as many as six girls with whom he didn't share his details and always gave a fake name to them. After having a physical relationship with the girls, he would avoid them, police said.

Cops also found that the accused, Akash Jain, did not have a permanent address, reported India Today. After being produced before a Delhi court, the accused was sent to 14-day judicial custody.

Representational image Photo by Greyerbaby / Pixabay