The Premier League football player facing two charges of rape has had his bail officially extended by the Metropolitan police. The unnamed league striker was arrested early in July and has been out on bail since late August. Authorities said that while the investigation continues, his bail was extended until early October.

According to The Guardian, the 20-something player who cannot be named for legal reasons has now been bailed again pending approval from a magistrates court. The duration of his new bail will likely be confirmed by next week. 

No further action was taken against the player with regard to an alleged offense he supposedly committed in June 2021. Police confirmed that all allegations in this particular case had been dropped in late July. However,  investigations into two other rape allegations will proceed as scheduled. The said footballer has denied all allegations while his club previously announced that he may continue playing even while under investigation.

“We are aware of the allegations which are currently the subject of a police investigation," the club stated in a press release last July 13. “We have confirmed that the player denies the allegations and is on police bail pending the outcome of their inquiries. There have been no charges laid and the player can fulfill his professional commitments including permitted travel,” the club added.

Initially, the player was arrested on suspicion of rape that allegedly took place in June of this year. After having been taken into custody, he then got further arrest orders for two other incidents of rape allegations that supposedly occurred in April 2021 and June 2021 with a different woman. The latter rape allegations were dropped. 

Meanwhile, the Metropolitan police launched an investigation into the other alleged rape by the player on the same woman that reported the case back in February. He was allowed to play for his club last season and continues to play as a regular in the side in 2022-23 campaign. It was also confirmed that he will still be one of the selected players until the club receives any further notice about the investigation and will remain free from suspension.

linesman-3575425_960_720 Representation Image Official football linesman KelvinStuttard/Pixabay