The cause of death of former child actor Matthew Mindler is now known. According to toxicology tests done on the deceased 19-year-old, it was found that he died from sodium nitrate toxicity.

It was also added that the Lancaster County Medical Examiner's Office, Mindler used the compound to kill himself and was hence ruled a suicide, TMZ reported.

Sodium nitrate is an oxidizing agent that is normally used to preserve food like meat. It causes hypotension and limits the flow of oxygen in the body that may result in death.

It was initially ruled as accidental. But this was before Matthew’s mother, Monica Mindler, was able to check on the Internet search history of her son.

According to her, Matthew was looking up information about the oxidizing agent and suicide and how the ex-child actor could get hold of one as well as its ultimate effect on ending a person’s life painlessly.

Monica also admits that she had no clue that Matthew was exploring this. Now, she just hopes to raise awareness on the matter to potentially save other lives.

She added that the substance was a fairly cheap product to get. It costs only $15. The mom also added that her late son was able to order one from Amazon, a substance that was enough to kill four people.

Amazon did not respond to requests for comment on the matter.

Matthew was just in his first few days at Millersville University before his tragic death. He attended classes for two days and did not return on the Wednesday of that week.

In an earlier report from TMZ, the 19-year-old was initially reported as missing in August. His lifeless body was found several days after in a manners township near the campus.

The 19-year-old woman became famous for movies such as “As the World Turns,” “Frequency,” and “Chad: American Boy.”

Matthew Mindler
Matthew Mindler Getty Images | Jamie McCarthy

© 2024 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.