A man allegedly killed himself after his parents denied him permission to celebrate his birthday in a grand manner in Virudhunagar, Tamil Nadu, India on Wednesday, Aug. 10.

The deceased man, identified only as Lokesh, a 21-year-old medical student who was studying his third year of college at Jalalabad University in Kyrgyzstan, had reportedly come back to his hometown in Virudhunagar to visit his parents for a vacation. As his birthday approached, Lokesh reportedly planned to celebrate the special day in a grand manner and asked his parents to make the arrangements for the event, India Today reported.

However, his parents rebuffed his requests. After this, a heated argument erupted between Lokesh and his parents, with his mother telling him that his birthday celebrations this year would be simple.

Lokesh, who was left heartbroken after hearing this, reportedly got upset and later that night consumed a large number of sleeping pills. The family subsequently found Lokesh unconscious inside their residence and rushed him to Virudhunagar Medical College hospital for immediate treatment on Tuesday night, Aug. 9. He was later transferred to Madurai Government Hospital for intensive care. However, Lokesh succumbed to his condition and died on Wednesday, Aug. 10, DT Next reported.

Lokesh's father Anandraj, 48, reportedly owns a hospital and pharmacy in Virudhunagar.

Following the incident, based on a complaint filed by Lokesh's father, Virudhunagar West police have registered a case and are investigating the incident.

In a similar but unrelated incident, an 18-year-old boy reportedly killed himself after his parents refused to gift him a phone on his birthday in Jaipur, India on Wednesday, Feb. 16, Latin Times reported.

The deceased teen, identified as Aaditya Kumar, 18, celebrated his birthday on Feb. 13. Five days before his birthday, Kumar demanded a mobile phone as a gift from his parents. However, Kumar's father, Vijay Singh, reportedly refused and promised to buy him a new cell phone only after he passes his 12th-grade examinations with a decent score.

According to police officials, on Wednesday, Feb 16, even though his father assured him he'd buy a phone for him, Kumar reportedly went to his room to sleep after having dinner and hung himself from the fan at midnight.

On late Wednesday night, Feb. 16, after noticing that the light in Kumar's room was still on, the father went to check on the boy and found him hanging limp from a ceiling fan. After discovering their unresponsive son, the parents rushed the boy to SMS hospital for treatment. However, the doctors at the facility declared him dead upon arrival.

Image Pixabay/ Didgeman

© 2024 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.