People will have different fantasies that lean towards a dark side. In the case of 34-year-old Sharon Lopatka, her death appears to be something she wished for. And carrying that out was Robert “Bobby” Frederick Glass in October 1996 when the two of them met.

However, there is a trail of disturbing incidents that led to the murder of Lopatka. It turns out that their secret love affair had carried on for months before the crime. Both met in a pornographic chatroom and later exchanged over 900 emails about their darkest sexual desires.

But Lopatka found Glass when the former posted messages on the chatroom that read: "I kind of had a fascination with torturing till death."

Glass was not the only one that Lopatka had met in the chatroom. There were several others, including a man that the 34-year-old personally met in New Jersey. But when the man realized what Lopatka seriously wanted, he backed off and refused to give in to her darkest sexual fantasy.

Then came Glass, a 45-year-old computer analyst. Both exchanged hundreds of emails between them, most of which had sexually graphical and violent content.

Lopatka again reiterated her desire to be tortured to death and Glass agreed. The 34-year-old even told Glass how she wanted to be abused and killed. The woman would travel from Maryland to North Carolina where they met personally.

When she left home, Lopatka left a note that raised a level of concern to her husband. The husband named Victor found the letter after three days and read: "If my body is never retrieved, don't worry: know that I'm at peace."

It was here where the husband grew concerned. He immediately contacted the police and they went through the 34-year-old’s computer. It was here where they discovered hundreds of disturbing messages, including their meeting.

Police initially surveyed the place of Glass, hoping to still find Lopatka alive. A search warrant was issued on Oct. 25, 1996, by a judge and this exposed several alarming items. That included indecent photos of children that were buried just feet from his home along with the rotting corpse of his lover.

Glass was arrested and charged with first-degree murder. But with Lopatka’s consent, the charges were changed to voluntary manslaughter. The 45-year-old entered a guilty plea on Jan. 27, 2000.

He was sentenced to serve 36 to 53 months for killing Lopatka and 21 to 26 months for multiple counts of sexual exploitation of a minor. Glass died in 2002 due to a heart attack.

police line crime scene
A representational image of a crime scene. Christopher Furlong/Getty Images

© 2024 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.