Nine people are dead in a mass shooting that took place at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis while several others were left injured on Thursday night. A gunman opened fire at the facility that claimed eight lives and leaving multiple bystanders wounded by gunshot wounds.

The shooter, whose identity has yet to be revealed, took his own life after the mass shooting according to the Metropolitan Police Department. The Indianapolis Emergency Medical Services pronounced eight people dead at the scene.

Per a statement released by the police department, officers responded to reports of shots being fired at the  FedEx Ground Plainview operations center. Five people with gunshot wounds were brought to local hospitals while two others were treated at the scene. Other reports claim that others made their way of seeking medical aid at nearby hospitals.

A motive behind the shooting has yet to be known. According to one witness, he saw a man opening fire at the operations center close to the Indianapolis airport.

"I saw a man with a sub-machine gun of some sort, an automatic rifle, and he was firing in the open. I immediately ducked down and got scared," the man said.

Following the incident, FedEx issued a statement of their own.

"We are deeply shocked and saddened by the loss of our team members following the tragic shooting at our FedEx Ground facility in Indianapolis. Our most heartfelt sympathies are with all those affected by this senseless act of violence. The safety of our team members is our top priority, and we are fully co-operating with investigating authorities."

The Indiana State Police are working with homicide detectives from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department in interviewing the witnesses. The identities of the victims will be released by the Marion County Coroner's Office once their families have been notified.

Crime Scene Three men were found hanging by the neck in Mexico next to a banner signed by a criminal organization in northern Sinaloa. Photo: Getty Images