Reports revealed that Prince Harry took extraordinary steps to save his relationship with then-girlfriend Meghan Markle in 2016 amid fears the former actress would dump him amid “the outright sexism and racism of social media trolls and web article comments.”

Eventually, the Duke of Sussex was forced to issue a scathing statement against the media out of fear of Meghan ending their engagement, risking the ire of the royal family to protect their nascent romance, according to News.com.au.

“It did feel like that if the palace was not able to stand up and support his girlfriend, against some of that disgusting coverage, then who in their right mind would ever consider entering into a relationship with him in the future?” a source said.

The News International noted that another insider added: “He was freaking out, saying she's going to dump him.”

However, these claims have categorically been denied by a spokeswoman for the Sussexes.

His relationship with the “Suits” alum came two years after Cressida Bonas broke up with Harry after she had been “completely shocked” upon watching the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge go on tour with their baby son Prince George, Katie Nicholl said.

“There was no way she wanted that sort of attention and she told Harry so. Harry didn’t want things to end. He was in love with her and he tried to convince her they could make it work,” a friend told Nicholl for her book, “Harry: Life, Loss, and Love.”

In 2015, a year after that break up, he confessed in a TV interview that: “I’m waiting to find the right person and someone willing to take on the job.”

Summer of the same year, the royal had been set up on a blind date with Markle. It followed a trip to Botswana, during which their romance moved at breakneck speed.

Then in October 2015, after reports that the duo was officially dating emerged, the press began setting up camp outside Meghan’s home and outside her mother Doria Ragland’s house in Los Angeles.

The media started scrutinizing Markle for being divorced, bi-racial, and one of the stars of a cable TV series.

On Nov. 8, Harry’s then-press secretary Jason Knauf issued a blistering statement against the media, saying she had been subjected “to a wave of abuse and harassment.”

Harry and Meghan would eventually tie the knot in May 2018, leasing a $3.2m farmhouse in the countryside before they moved to the Frogmore Cottage in Windsor. They reportedly used the country retreat to escape media and public attention, according to Hello Magazine.

Harry Meghan
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's hotly anticipated Netflix docuseries may release in December 2022. Courtney Africa/Getty Images

© 2023 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.