A father has been accused of deliberately leaving the generator on in his home with the intent of killing himself and his minor son via carbon monoxide poisoning in northwest suburban Inverness on Sunday, Sept. 11.

Law enforcement was called to a home in the 2200 block of Palatine Road in Inverness, Illinois on Sunday, Sept. 11, at around 4:30 p.m., for a wellness check after the family couldn't be contacted for an entire day. After officers responded to the scene, they found 41-year-old Woo Chang, his 10-year-old son Austin Chang, and his 6-year-old daughter Jeslyn all unconscious inside the residence, CBS News reported.

The children's mother had reported that her estranged husband Chang did not return their children to her at the scheduled time after visitation and that the family was not answering their phones.

Chang and his 10-year-old son Austin were pronounced dead at the scene. Meanwhile, his 6-year-old daughter, Jeslyn, was taken to Advocate Lutheran General Hospital for treatment where she remains in critical condition, Chicago Tribune reported.

Officers believe that Chang may have intentionally left a generator on inside the home and that he and his two children were overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning.

Following Austin's death, a Palatine School District 15 spokesperson confirmed that Austin was a student at Frank C. Whitely Elementary School in Hoffman Estates.

"The District is simply heartsick, and in both shock and mourning over the tragic loss of one of our students," the district said in a statement. "It goes without saying that this is a devastating loss for all of us here in District 15, especially as we look to the remainder of the school year where the child's absence will be felt by classmates and staff."

Meanwhile, a next-door neighbor who asked to remain anonymous, recalled that she babysat both Austin and his 6-year-old sister often.

“Austin was a wonderful kid, he was truly one of the best kids I knew and he was so, so sweet,” the neighbor, 19, said. “He put others first and he made me laugh all the time.”

“I love him,” the neighbor said. “(His sister) is just as great, she is a little sweetheart and I am praying that she pulls through.”

Following the tragic incident, a GoFundMe page has been set up to help the family with the funeral costs and the girl's medical expenses.

Dead body
This is a representational image. Pixabay

© 2024 Latin Times. All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.