Maria Teresa of Bourbon-Parma, a Spanish princess, is the first every royal in the world to succumb to COVID-19. It was said that she died due to complications brought about by the infectious disease. Spain has a total of 87,956 COVID-19 cases with 7,716 deaths as of today. 

The princess was 86 years old and a cousin of Spain’s King Felipe VI. Her death was announced by her brother Prince Sixto Enrique de Borbon, the Duke of Aranjuez, via social media. Her demise comes just weeks after the king of Spain tested negative for coronavirus infection. 

"On this afternoon our sister Maria Teresa de Borbon Parma and Borbon Busset, a victim of the coronavirus COVID-19, died in Paris at the age of eighty-six," the statement reads. 

Princess Teresa was born on July 28, 1933, and she was the second daughter in the family of six. Her parents were Prince Xavier and Madeleine de Bourbon. She studied in France and graduated with a degree in Political Science at Sorbonne in Paris.

She later became a professor of Sociology at Complutense University in Madrid. Princess Teresa was known for her activist works and outspoken views that led people to call her the "Red Princess." As per People, she is an advocate of women’s rights and socialist ideas for a long time but unfortunately, she never married.  

Her funeral service was held last weekend in Madrid. Princess Teresa was survived by her brother, surviving nieces and nephews that include Prince Jaime, the Duke of Parma and Piacenza, Princess Margarita and Prince Carlos of Borbon-Parma.

Meanwhile, Prince Charles of Britain is the other royal to be infected by COVID-19. His positive result came out last week and he is currently in isolation in his home in Scotland. He is the first member in the British royal family to acquire the infection. 

“He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual,” part of the statement released by Clarence House reads. He has been displaying mild symptoms but otherwise remains in good health and has been working from home throughout the last few days as usual."

In a new report coming from BBC News, it was said that Prince Charles is now out of self-isolation. The 71-year-old heir to the throne spent just seven days in self-quarantine after testing positive with mild symptoms. 

Princess Stephanie de Lannoy, Queen Letizia of Spain, King Felipe VI of Spain, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg, Prince Guillaum Princess Stephanie de Lannoy, Queen Letizia of Spain, King Felipe VI of Spain, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg and Prince Guillaume, Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg attend a one-day official visit by the Spanish Royals on November 11, 2014 in Luxembourg, Luxembourg. Mathis Wienand/Getty Images