Indian filmmaker Santosh Gupta’s wife and daughter died after they allegedly set themselves ablaze.

The incident happened Monday, April 5, in the suburbs of Andheri in Mumbai, India.

The deceased, identified as, 55-year-old Asmita, and her daughter, Srishti, allegedly set themselves on fire at their home Monday afternoon.

Fire brigades were alerted after neighbors found fire emanating from the apartment.

Both Asmita and Srishti were rushed to a nearby hospital with life-threatening burn injuries. The mother was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Srishti, who suffered 70 percent burns, was transferred to another hospital for intensive care. She succumbed to her injuries on Tuesday.

According to the police, the duo decided to end their life due to the trauma they were facing following Asmita’s prolonged kidney illness.

"We have registered two different accidental death reports in the case and further investigation is underway," senior inspector Bharat Gaikwad from DN Nagar police station said. 

It is unclear as to where Gupta was when his wife and daughter immolated themselves.

Gupta is known for directing movies like Faraar, Romi the hero, and Aaj Ki Aurat.

Police are investigating the possibility of foul play that led to the deaths.

Police have not revealed any further details of the incident as this an ongoing investigation.

In another incident, a drunk man killed 6 people including four children, and injured 4 others after he set fire to their home over a dispute with his wife.

The shocking incident was reported Saturday, April 3, in the Kodagu district of Karnataka, India.

According to the police, the suspect went to his daughter's home in an inebriated stage. The woman was living with her daughter after she left their home following an altercation with her husband. The suspect climbed on the roof of the house and poured petrol into the room where his wife and relatives were sleeping. He set the room ablaze and fled the scene.

Six people including the suspect's wife and his grandchildren were killed and four other relatives were badly injured after the fire engulfed the whole house.

Bonfire Representational image. Photo: Pablo Blazquez Dominguez/Getty Images