The members of the royal family do not normally release statements regarding personal matters, but the majority of them have shown how protective they are toward their loved ones. Years ago, Queen Elizabeth authorized a “crackdown” on the paparazzi after they continuously intruded into the private lives of other royals.

Prince Charles was also on board with the crackdown, and he and his mother tapped senior lawyer Gerrard Tyrrell to come up with a privacy strategy. The privacy and media law specialist briefed senior royal aides on what they should do when they see photographers snapping photos of the royals while engaged in their private activities.

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, attend the State Opening Of Parliament in the House of Lords on June 21, 2017, in London, England. Stefan Wermuth - WPA Pool/Getty Image

But even with this in place, it seems that the paparazzi continue to target the members of the royal family. And most recently, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have taken legal action against two publications who have reportedly breached their privacy and infringed their copyright.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are suing Daily Mail and the Associated Newspapers for publishing Meghan’s private letters to her dad, Thomas Markle Sr. In the letters, the “Suits” alum urged her estranged father to stop believing everything that’s being written about her.

Royal expert Penny Junor called Prince Harry’s statement regarding the matter “extraordinary.” She also said that it’s not like any of the previous statements that have been released by the royal family on issues about privacy.

“I completely understand that Harry should feel protective about his wife and there have undoubtedly been some negative stories in the last nine months that must have hurt — but not exclusively in the Mail on Sunday — and they have not all been lies, nor I would suggest, part of a ruthless campaign,” Junor said.

“The positive coverage of this last week in Africa is richly deserved. This feels to me like an over-emotional and somewhat ill-advised outburst,” she added.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, arrive at Casablanca Airport on February 23, 2019, in Casablanca, Morocco. Hannah McKay - WPA Pool/Getty Images

Years ago, Prince William and Prince Edward also released statements regarding their wives’ privacy. Before the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge got engaged, paparazzi flocked to Kate’s home, thinking that an announcement would be made.

The paparazzi also followed Sophie, Countess of Wessex, everywhere after they learned that she’s dating Prince Edward. The Earl of Wessex became upset with the paparazzi, so he issued a statement urging them to leave his then girlfriend alone.

Sophie, Countess of Wessex, and Prince Edward Prince Edward and Sophie, Countess of Wessex, ride a carriage on the day of their wedding. Getty Images/Tim Graham