Suppose the rumor that Prince Charles intends to reduce the size of the royal family to only eight members is real, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle won't be able to resume their roles as working royals after they left them two years ago.

According to several media outlets, Prince Charles allegedly sought to streamline the monarchy. Royal expert Kinsey Schofield, said fewer people would be involved in the monarchy, who offered her opinion on the subject.

Express mentioned that the Prince of Wales intended to keep the number of working royals to eight. These include Prince Edward and Sophie (Countess of Wessex), Princess Anne, Prince William, Kate Middleton, Duchess Camilla, Queen Elizabeth, and Prince Charles.

"While these are all individuals that will be out in the future representing the crown, I think Charles will try to draw attention to himself, Camilla, and the Cambridge family as the future of the monarchy," Schofield told Business Insider.

Second in line to the throne, Prince William is said to agree with his father's views. He consented to the royal family's active members being reduced.

Even before Prince Charles ascends to the throne, the top working royals have shed several members to streamline the monarchy.

In 2020, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle discontinued their royal responsibilities. Prince Andrew followed suit. If the stories were accurate, none of the three appeared to have a way to rejoin the royal group.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex would be replaced by other members of the family, according to royal and entertainment reporter Neil Sean in a recent video posted to his  YouTube channel. The royals reportedly urged those remaining working for the company to take the lead rather than inviting the Sussexes back.

Sean said Harry and Meghan believed they were unstoppable and that the monarch would not last without them. "But as we've seen over the last 18 months, for Harry and Meghan, it's proven a very difficult transitional period," the royal correspondent added.

"Harry and Meghan ... really felt that at some point, they would have to return because they thinned down the monarchy," Sean continued. 

Per the royal correspondent: "[But] they have decided not to reinvite Harry and Meghan back, and it's other members of the British monarchy who are stepping forward and showing their mettle. One, in particular, is the husband of Princess Anne, Admiral Tim Laurence."

Prince Andrew's return to the royal family is not supported by the Duke of Cambridge either.

A friend of Prince William told Daily Mail that the Duke of Cambridge has strong opinions about the Duke of York. Prince William, according to the same friend, thinks his further attempts to hold on to a public position are hazardous for the institution.

The friend said: "He would have cut him loose a long time ago if it had been up to him. He understands that when it comes to mother and son the situation is complicated, but honestly I think he just wishes he would vanish from public view."

Prince Charles with Harry and Meghan Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex attend Royal Ascot Day 1 at Ascot Racecourse on June 19, 2018 in Ascot, United Kingdom. Photo by Samir Hussein/Samir Hussein/WireImage